This is a delicious ayurvedic breakfast for soothing both body and mind. It’s an excellent energy source and great start to the day. I often recommend this recipe to clients where the metabolism is sluggish, if they are experiencing fatigue, tiredness or have a low immune system, as this delicious recipe is a great for nourishing the digestive fire and combating each of these symptoms.
- Organic oats – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Milk – Organic non-homogenized is best – 1-2 cups
- Raisins – 1 handful
- Cardamom ground – 1 pinch
- Cinnamon ground – 1/2 pinch
- Heat ghee in a small saucepan over low flame. Add the oats and toast for 1 -2 min until golden brown
- Begin to add water and start stirring
- Add cardamom, cinnamon powder and raisins. Keep stirring for another 3 – 4 min
- Add 2 cups of milk for vata, or 1 cup of milk for balancing Pitta, or 1/2 cup of milk for kapha constitution
- Continue stirring for another 5 or so minutes until oats become creamy, soft and ready to eat!
- Serves 2
** It’s often recommended to add an optional amount of raw sugar for anyone who may be dominant with vata in their constitution, and particularity in autumn for all body types to nourish and maintain the vata dosha.
*Recipe courtesy of my teacher Dr S. Ajit from the Australasian Institute of Ayurvedic Studies
Take time to sit and enjoy every mouthful! Nourishment comes not only from the ingredients themselves, it’s the love and intention we include in the preparation that nourishes us long after the meal is finished!